The workshop wants to compare the dynamics in the so-called “Islamic center” (the Arabian Peninsula) with developments in the so called “Muslim Periphery”. It aims to problematize the discursive and lived interactions between gender, fashion, spirituality, religion, class, and ethnicity.
The University of Manitoba is holding a workshop on ‘A Century of Youth Engaging Politics in the Arab World‘ from 16-18 May 2017. The Call for Papers is open until 23 September 2016.
Core topics are:
• National or trans-national case studies of the political significance of a specific youth movement.
• Discourse of youth engagement in politics and the uses of such discourse.
• Tactics of mobilization and recruitment, including outreach and forms of wider community engagement.
• Political opposition and competition between different youth communities
• Positioning in opposition to a generational “other”
• The role of trans-national networks and migration patterns in youth mobilization
Vol. 8 of Istanbuler Texte und Studien ‘The past as resource in the Turkic speaking world‘ ed. by Ildikó Bellér-Hann is now available Open Access on MENAdoc.
Vol. 7 of Istanbuler Texte und Studien ‘Cultural changes in the Turkic world‘, ed. by Filiz Kıral; Barbara Pusch, Claus Schönig and Arus Yumul is now available as Open Access on MENAdoc.
The Aristotle University of Thessaloniki is holding an International Congress on “Pontus in the late Ottoman Empire (1774-1908): Society and Economy” from 18-20 November 2016. The programme will be added as soon as it’s available.