The University of Oxford, Centre for Islamic Studies is hosting a workshop on ‘New perspectives on the political economy of the Middle East‘ from 27-28 October 2017. The Call for Papers is open until 1 August 2017.
The Beirut office of the Friedrich Ebert Foundation is hosting a conference on ‘Women’s involvement in peace, security and transition processes in the Arab world‘ from 16-18 November 2017. The Call for Papers is open until 15 July 2017.
The title ‘Der Rapper El Général im Prisma der Identitätsproblematik‘ by Felix Wiedemann is now available Open Access on MENAdoc.
The CEI-IUL is holding a conference on ‘Five years during and more: activisms in North Africa after the 2011 uprisings‘ from 12-13 January 2017. The programme will be added as soon as it is available.
The Orient-Institut Beirut is holding a conference on the 29 July 2016 on “Rethinking Social Movements in the Digital Age: Activism, Dissent and Rebellion in the Post-Arab Spring”. The Call for Proposals is open until 8 May 2016.
There will be a Workshop on “Security & Stability in the Mediterranean and the Middle East” from 26-28 May 2016, organized by the Institute of International Economic Relations.
Core Topics (from the Call for Papers)
“1. Security in the Mediterranean and the Broader Middle East: Problems and Prospects of the South
- The unknown future of Syria
- Iran and Turkey the Middle East: New challenges ahead
- Perspectives on the Israeli –Palestinian conflict
- State and Society in the Middle East: The challenge of the Arab Spring
- Islam and democracy in Arab states
- Economic security and change in the Middle East states
- The United States and Russia as third actors in the Middle East and the Mediterranean
- The International Political Economy of energy security in the Eastern Mediterranean.
2. Migration and Human Security in the Mediterranean and the Middle East
- The political and economic consequences of the refugee crisis
- Problems and prospects for migration in the Mediterranean region
- Irregular migration, state security and human security in the Mediterranean
- Migration, human security and foreign policy
- EU Security and migration policies in the Mediterranean
- Poverty as a major challenge to human security in the Mediterranean area
- Human security and climate change in the Mediterranean
- Parliamentary diplomacy in the Mediterranean: the case of Responsibility to Protect (R2P).
3. The present and future of Euro-Mediterranean relations
- Development and evaluation for the Union for Mediterranean
- Prospects of regional and sub- regional cooperation in the Mediterranean area
- The Europeanisation process of Third Mediterranean Countries
- The European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) five years since the beginning of the Arab Spring and its review
- Normative Power Europe and the Mediterranean
- Trade relations between Mediterranean EU countries and other Mediterranean states
- The consequences of the economic crisis for the process of EU- Mediterranean relations
- Cultural Dialogue in the Mediterranean and the role of the EU.”