Am 31. Mai findet in Edinburgh eine Konferenz zum Thema „After the Uprisings: Political, Economic, and Social Transformations in the Middle East and North Africa“ statt. Ausgerichtet wird sie unter anderem von ArabTrans. Kernthemen sind laut Call for Papers:
- „Key political, social, and economic transformations in the MENA region: major changes, their significance, and their implications for theoretical frameworks, analytical methods, as well as policy implications for stakeholders (governments. NGOs, IOs, etc.).
- National and regional trends: homogeneities and heterogeneities among MENA countries (pathways of socio-economic and political transformation, possible future trajectories).
- Roots of the Uprisings: long-term, structural factors and short-term triggers behind the upheaval in the Arab world.
- The generational gap: the role of youth and ICTs before, during, and after the Uprisings.
- Religion and political culture: the way the Uprisings and subsequent events affected Islamist movements and the relationship between politics and religion generally
- Europe and the Arab Uprisings: impact of the recent turmoil upon the role of EU relations.“