The Valmadonna collection of Hebrew and Jewish books from India is a unique and unparalleled resource provided by Brill for the study of oriental printing and lithography, Hebrew poetry and liturgical history, Eastern Judeo-Arabic literature, and the folklore, traditions and vernacular writings of the Jews of South Asia.
Through this Brill/IDC publication, the entire corpus of Indian Jewish literature is made accessible to researchers for the first time.
Our Specialized Information Services has arranged a test period for our circle of users until 31 March 2023. In case of positive feedback, we would consider a permanent license.
This link will redirect you to the provider’s platform.
About the collection
The Valmadonna collection includes over 730 items. Part of these are:
- Early imprints from Calcutta, Bombay, Poona and Cochin
- Rare oriental liturgies and chapbooks
- Baghdadi and Yemenite poetry and scholarship
- Judeo-Arabic and Aramaic literature
- Illustrated Haggadahs and Judeo-Urdu drama
- Marathi and Malayalam texts and translations
- Unique Indian lithographs
Modes of Access
Access is available to members of the institutions of our circle of users until the 31 March 2023. Authentication is based on the IP numbers of the respective network.
A VPN or other remote connection is required when working in the home office. If access via remote connection is not possible you can log in as a single user.