Here you can find information about the rules of the different alphabets. (Most of the linked documents are in German.)
- Notes on transliteration [PDF]
- Arabic transliteration rules [EROMM]
- DIN Standard 31635 for the transcription of Arabic [Wikipedia]
- The classic DMG transliteration rules of the Arabic script from 1935 [book on MENAdoc]
- Persian transliteration rules (EROMM)
- Marburg guide to the transcription of New Persian [PDF]
- Iranian languages in Cyrillic script [PDF]
- Transcription for Turcica (Turkish languages in Cyrillic script) [PDF]
- In the case of the Azerbaijani Latin alphabet, please transliterate the letter “ə” with “ä”.
- Ottoman titles are reproduced in modern Turkish spelling (see Özege: Eski harflerle basılmış Türkçe eserler kataloğu, 1971-82).
- For Ottoman manuscripts, a transcription based on the İslam Ansiklopedisi is recommended.
- Kyrgyz in Arabic script: standardisation by EMKONS project (Miami University, Ohio, USA), in cooperation with National Academy of Sciences in Bishkek. Table on the project’s website
Standard Moroccan Tamazight
- For transliteration of the Standard Moroccan Berber, we recommend the ALA-LC Romanization rules [PDF]